Sustainable Tucson Survey: Planning the Region’s Future
This survey is designed to help us understand how different organizations in our community have approached thinking about the future. We are especially interested in your use of scenarios, or other techniques for exploring the interactions between key drivers of change in our region. Scenarios are stories of the future. Like all stories, they have a beginning, middle, and end. The best stories have critical events, and maybe even a bad actor or two. We are inviting you to share your stories with the community.
The questions with an asterisk (*) will have to be answered in order to complete the survey.
1. If your organization has engaged in forecasting, visioning, scenario building, or some other long term planning activity in the past five years, what were the primary reasons, motivations or goals that led you to use scenarios or visioning techniques? (If you have not engaged in these kinds of activities, please skip down to question 7).
2. How have you used the results of these forward looking activities (e.g., shared them with members of your organization; shared them with other organizations, modified strategic plans, etc.)?
3. What baseline data, if any, have you used in your visioning or scenario development activities (e.g., population demographics, natural resources, economic activity, crime statistics, etc.)?
4. What key elements, trends, events, or circumstances have you emphasized in your visioning or scenario development efforts?
5. How many years into the future have these projections usually been designed to reach?
6. How much attention or emphasis have you placed on the following factors? Please rate their importance (unimportant, minor importance, major importance, primary importance)?
Other (please specify)?
*7. Please provide a preferred scenario, or story of the future, related to your primary activity in the next 20 years.
*8. Please provide what you see as a likely scenario, or story of the future, related to your primary activity in the next 20 years.
*9. Please provide a crisis/catastrophe scenario, or story of the future, related to your primary activity in the next 20 years.
*10. What geographic boundary does your organization primarily work within?
*11. How would you describe the primary activities in which your organization is engaged?
Thank you for completing this survey!