Menu for the Future – Discussion Course – Thursdays July 12 thru Aug 16
six Thursdays from July 12 thru August 16
in Central Tucson
Menu for the Future Discussion Course
Thursdays, July 12 to August 16, 2012 – 6:30 to 8:00pm
Baja Arizona Sustainable Agriculture offers the Northwest Earth Institute’s Menu for the Future Class, a 6-session discussion course that analyzes the connection between food and sustainability. The goals of the course are to explore food systems and their impact on culture, society, and ecology; to gain insight into agricultural and individual practices that promote personal and ecological well-being; and to consider your role in creating or supporting sustainable food systems.
Topics covered include:
- What’s Eating America (explores the effects of modern industrial eating habits on culture, society and ecological systems).
- Anonymous Food (considers the ecological and economic impacts that have accompanied the changes in how we grow and prepare food).
- Farming for the Future (examines emerging food system alternatives, highlighting sustainable growing practices, the benefits of small farms and urban food production, and how individuals can make choices that lead to a more sustainable food supply).
- You Are What You Eat (considers the influences that shape our choices and food policies from the fields to Capitol Hill, and the implications for our health and well-being).
- Toward a Just Food System (explores the role that governments, communities and individuals can play in addressing hunger, equity, and Fair Trade to create a more just food system).
- Choices for Change (offers inspiration and practical advice in taking steps to create more sustainable food systems).
How it Works: Prior to each meeting, participants read short selections from the course book relating to one of the topics listed above (book is provided as part of class fee). Each gathering consists of open conversation regarding the readings. Dialogue from a wide range of perspectives and learning through self-discovery are encouraged. While each session is facilitated by one of the course participants, there is no formal teacher.
- Dates/Time: Weekly meetings occur each Thursday, July 12 to August 16, from 6:30 to 8pm. Participants must attend all sessions.
- Location: central Tucson.
- Cost (for course book): $25 BASA members, $30 non-members (or $45 for course and a one-year BASA membership).
Contact Meghan at meghan.mix(at)bajaaz.org or 520-331-9821 for further information.
Baja Arizona Sustainable Agriculture